Last evening I received an unexpected gift! Organic cabbages aplenty! My mind quickly started thinking about the things that I can create with these beautiful gems.
Today I decided upon a large pot of cabbage soup with #local grassfed organic beef.
- Olive or Avocado oil (1-2 tbsp)
- Diced onion (1 – 2)
- Diced potatoes (2 medium)
- Thin sliced celery – 3 stalks
- Garlic – fresh or dried
- Cabbage – sliced & diced 1 medium
- Paprika – 1 tsp
- Cayenne pepper – 1/2 to 1 tsp
- Italian herbs – DIY blend of rosemary, thyme, savory, oregano, & basil – 2 tbsp +
- Marinara sauce – 1/2 – 1 cup
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Chicken or Beef stock
- Ground beef – 1 lb
- Brown Basmati Rice – 1/2 cup
- In a large stock or crock pot – Sauté onions, potatoes, garlic, & celery until softened (approx 10 mins)
- Add ground beef, & brown it
- Add paprika, cayenne, & Italian seasoning
- Stir in marinara sauce
- Add stock to cover
- Stir in cabbage & rice
- Add water if necessary.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper
- Simmer until the rice & cabbage are completely cooked (45 mins + to allow flavours to blend)
I allowed mine to simmer for a couple of hours – and here’s the finished product! It tastes amazing!
Serve & enjoy!!
This soup is easy & hearty; guaranteed to fill the hunger gap.
Bonus Tip — It’s even better the next day! (**It tends to thicken over time so add more water or stock when reheating leftovers. It can be frozen for later use.)
I hope you give this a try – you won’t be disappointed!
Peace & Love,