PANCAKES from scratch ~ is there anything better?!!
My original recipe and my current style of making these varies a bit so I will post both versions here —
- 1.5 cups of all-purpose flour, or 1 c all-purpose and 1/2 c of whole wheat
- (you can also use gluten-free flour — it works but makes a different consistency than wheat flour pancakes)
- a pinch of salt (about 1/4 tsp)
- 1 tbsp of honey, or maple syrup, or organic sugar – I tend to use less sweetener and use maple syrup when serving!
- 3 tsp or 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1.5 cups of milk of choice – OR 1 cup of yogurt of choice, (plus approx 1/2 cup of water)
- 1 tbsp of oil ~ omit if using yogurt; it’s not necessary!
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla (again not necessary, but use if you have some and you like it!)
- **1 cup mashed banana optional — or substitute fruit of your choice! Blueberries, diced strawberries, crushed raspberries, grated apple……combination of all!
- **pinch of cinnamon if you want!
No hard and fast rules here — just add dry mixture to a large bowl; mix well. Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and combine until blended. Allow it to sit a few minutes to activate the baking powder while your cooking pan heats up!
Place some butter and oil in a cast iron — or your favourite non-stick pan; heat to medium. Splash a few drops of water into it and if it sizzles, bounces, and evaporates, the pan is ready!
Use a ladle to pour some batter into your pan, or onto your griddle — wait until bubbles come to the surface (approx 1.5 minutes) and flip. Wait another 1.5 mins until the centre is cooked.
Meanwhile — add some mixed frozen berries to a small sauce pan. Add some butter and maple syrup and heat until the berries are warmed and the butter is melted. Pour over pancakes when serving! Enjoy!
Or you can add a dollop of yogurt, some berries, and some maple syrup or warm honey!